BENEFICS AND MALEFICS
The Guru, Shukra, Budha, and increasing Chandra are Benefics.
Surya, Shani, Mangala, decreasing Chandra, Rahu and Ketu (the ascending and the descending nodes of Chandra) are Malefics.
- Surya is the soul of all.
- Chandra is the mind.
- Mangala is one’s strength.
- Budha is speech giver.
- Guru confers Knowledge and happiness.
- Shukra governs semen (potency).
- Shani denotes grief.
- Surya & Chandra are of royal status.
- Mangala is the Army chief.
- Budha is Prince-apparent.
- Guru and Shukra are ministerial Grahas.
- Shani is a servant.
- Rahu and Ketu form the Graha Army.
- Surya is blood-red.
- Chandra is light brown.
- Mangala, who is not very tall, is blood red in colour.
- Budha’s hue is akin to that of green grass.
- Guru is light brown.
- Shukra is variegated (different colours).
- Shani is dark.
DIETIES OF GRAHAS
- Surya – Fire (Agni)
- Chandra – Water (Varuna)
- Mangala – Subramanya (Lord Shiva’s son)
- Budha – Maha Vishnu
- Guru – Indra
- Shukra – Shachi Devi (the consort of Lord Indra)
- Shani – Brahma
- Rahu – Durga
- Ketu – Ganesha
GENDER OF THE GRAHAS
- Surya – Male
- Chandra – Female
- Mangala – Male
- Budha – Neutral (Unisex)
- Guru – Male
- Shukra – Female
- Shani – Neutral (Unisex)
- Rahu – Shadowy Grahas, hence no gender.
- Ketu – Shadowy Grahas, hence no gender.
- Mangala – Agni
- Budha – Bhoomi
- Guru – Akasha
- Shukra – Jala
- Shani – Gaali (Vaayu)
- Guru – Shabdha – Ear
- Saturn , Rahu, Ketu – Sparsha –Skin
- Surya, Mangala – Roopa – Eyes
- Chandra, Shukra – Rasa – Taste – Tongue
- Budha – Gandha – Smell – Nose
CASTE OF GRAHAS
- Guru & Shukra – Brahmins
- Surya & Mangala – Kshatriya
- Chandra & Budha – Vaishya
- Shani – Shudras
- Rahu – Outcaste
- Ketu – Mixed Caste
Brahmin means Brahma, knowing a person who possesses knowledge & thinking of higher degree about the creator of the universe who has acquired state of fully enlightened knowledge. Another word Vipra for a Brahmin in Sanskrit means ‘A pure one’. A Vipra is one who has devoted & entrusted his life to the almighty. Brahmin loves knowledge, studying, & teaching or his actions. Therefore Guru & Shukra represent who are priests, intellectuals, are engaged in inventing new things for the benefit of humanity who lead a pure life, & they are endowed with Sattvica qualities.
Vaishya – The commercial community. Those whose main function is to execute trade & agriculture, rearing cattle, well read in the Vedas.
Kshatriya – The royal community. Means one who defends, who are soldiers, & whose function is the internal & external defence of their country. And who are capable of punishing the wrong doers. They are the predominance of the Rajasika qualities.
Shudras – The serving community. Whoever has the instinct or sense of serving others in an eminent degree. The persons engaged in low-level activities.